SQL-2012: How to install Microsoft SQL 2012 R2
Microsoft SQL Server 2012 R2 (SQL-2012)is a robust relational database management system developed by Microsoft and released in April 2012. It offers a variety of features and capabilities for storing, organizing, and managing data. In addition, SQL Server 2012 R2 provides several improvements and new features such as AlwaysOn Availability Groups, Columnstore Indexes, enhanced security, Power View, and improved T-SQL. These features provide better reliability, scalability, and performance for businesses and organizations that rely on data management and analysis.
Here is a quick guide on installing SQL-2012 onto a Windows Server 2012 R2 platform.
Check the system requirements: Before installing SQL Server 2012 R2, ensure your system meets the minimum hardware and software requirements. You can find the criteria on Microsoft’s website.
Download the SQL Server installer: You can download the SQL Server 2012 R2 installer from the Microsoft website or use the installation media if you have it.
Step 1 – Insert SQL-2012 Media into the server.
Run Setup from DVD.
Run the installer: Double-click the SQL Server installer to launch the installation wizard.
The server will ensure you have installed all the required roles before installing. You will be prompted here and asked to install additional software, such as Visual Basic, if there are any issues.
Accept the Licence, then Select the installation type: Choose the one that best suits your needs. For example, you can install the database engine, SQL Server Management Studio, or Reporting Services.
Ensure Shared Feature Directories are pointing to the D:\ Drive.
On Instance Configuration, leave as Default instance, click next
On the Server configuration screen, change the account name to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. No Password is required. This can be changed later.
On Database Engine Configuration, ensure you select
- Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication).
- Input the pre-defined password (this is for the SA account).
Adding the local Administrator as a SQL Admin is also advised in the Specify SQL server administrators section.
- Under the Data Directories tab, ensure you choose:
- S:\ for Database files
- L:\ for Logs
- On the Analysis Services configuration, add the Current User – (This can be changed later in SQL Server Management Studio)
- Under Reporting Services Configuration, select “install, but do not configure the report server” – (This can be changed the later in SQL Server Management Studio)
- On the next screen, Distributed Replay Controller, ensure set as below and click next.
- On the next screen, Distributed Replay Client, ensure set as below and click next.
- On the next screen, Error Reporting, ensure the tick box is blank and click next.
- Click Next to bring up the final screen, “Ready to install”, and chose INSTALL
- The installation will take about 30 minutes to complete.
- Once completed, open SQL Server Management Studio and log in with the Mixed Mode SA account you created earlier.
- Log in with the SA account or Administrator.
- Expand the column on left; if you have a green “play” button SQL is running.