How to install Microsoft SQL 2012 R2
Here is a quick guide on how to install SQL Server 2012 R2 onto a Windows Server 2012 R2 platform.
- Insert SQL Server 2012 R2 Media into server.
- Run Setup from DVD.
- Select Installation then select New installation add features to an existing installation.
- A pre-installation server test will now run.
- Click next after pre-test completes.
- Enter product key
- Accept the Licence terms and conditions.
- Click install to setup support files.
- Click Next and then select SQL Server Feature Installation
- Select ALL required features – In this example we will install everything
- Ensure Shared Feature Directories are pointing to the D:\ Drive.
- Click next.
- On Instance Configuration, leave as Default instance, click next
- On the Server configuration screen, change account Name to NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. No Password is required. This can be changed later.
On Database Engine Configuration ensure you select
- Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows authentication).
- Input the pre-defined password (this is for the SA account).
It is also advised to add the local administrator as a SQL Admin in the Specify SQL server administrators section.
- Under the Data Directories tab ensure you chose:
- S:\ for Database files
- L:\ for Logs
- On the Analysis Services configuration, add the Current User – (This can be changed by the later in SQL Server Management Studio)
- Under Reporting Services Configuration select “install, but do not configure the report server” – (This can be changed by the later in SQL Server Management Studio)
- On the next screen, Distributed Replay Controller, ensure set as below and click next
- On the next screen, Distributed Replay Client ensure set as below and click next
- On the next screen, Error Reporting, ensure tick box is blank and click next
- Click Next to bring up final screen “Ready to install” and chose INSTALL
- The installation will take about 30 minutes to complete.
- Once completed, open SQL Server Management Studio and log in with the Mixed Mode SA account you created earlier.
- Log in with SA account or Administrator
- Expand the column on left, if you have a green “play” button SQL is running